Toolbox For Development
The City of Paducah Planning Department has created an effective and exciting toolbox of incentives for development and rehabilitation in our Historic Downtown Commercial District. Our goal is to encourage vibrant streets, increased residential density, and thriving businesses. For applications, visit Downtown Development Programs. Summaries of the programs are below.
Roof Stabilization Program
Funds are allotted each budget cycle for the stabilization and replacement of roofs in the Historic Downtown. Please check with the City Planning Department at 270-444-8690 for fund availability.
Downtown New Business Grant
The purpose of the New Business Program is to provide for creation of new businesses within the Historic Downtown (Map #1) This is intended to complement and support the City of Paducah’s other existing business programs such as the Façade Grant Program and the Roof Stabilization Program. The redevelopment of buildings is crucial to maintaining an economically strong Downtown Commercial District; a commercial area where the image, appearance and environment encourage the attraction of shoppers. The intention of this program is to provide financial resources to assist new business owners that are locating to Historic Downtown Paducah.
For business utilizing less than 1,000 square feet, 100 percent reimbursement for eligible costs of the first $5,000.00. The New Business Program provides for 50 percent reimbursement of eligible costs between $5,001.00 and $10,000.00.
For business utilizing 1,000 square feet or more, 100 percent reimbursement for eligible costs of the first $7,500.00. The New Business Program provides for 50 percent reimbursement of eligible costs between $7,501.00 and $15,000.00.
Façade Grant Program
The purpose of the Façade Grant Program is to provide a financial incentive to Paducah Main Street merchants and property owners to improve their buildings while retaining the historic character of the district. Paducah Main Street is dedicated to promoting and restoring Downtown as a thriving, walkable and welcoming community for living and working. One of the ways we can make that happen is with our Façade Grant Program, matching the investment you make on the exterior of your property dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000.
- Masonry or mortar joint repair
- Window or door repair/replacement
- Repair of purchase of new awnings
- Transom and window repair/replacement
- Removal of non-historic materials (e.g. siding that covers transom windows, bricked-over window or door openings, removing paint from brick, etc.)
- Replacement of architectural details
- Exterior painting (except for applying paint to unpainted brick)
- Exterior lighting or interior storefront window display lighting that remains on during evening hours.
- Other improvements may qualify on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Paducah Main Street for additional information
- Paducah Main Street Façade Grants are a dollar-for-dollar match, up to 50% of the total project costs. Grant amount not to exceed $1,000.00. Total grant funds available will be limited to $8,000.00 per fiscal year.
- A façade is defined as an individual storefront or side of a building that faces a public street or public alley with public access. Separate addresses within a single building may qualify as separate façades.
- The building must be located within the project area (see map on front).
- Only commercial properties are eligible.
- Completed applications must be submitted to and approved by the Paducah Main Street Design Committee prior to work beginning. Grants are not awarded for work done prior to approval.
- Work must be completed within 180 days of grant award.
- Once the project is completed, grantees must submit paid receipts for reimbursement. Paducah Main Street will verify that the work was done according to the approved application before reimbursing funds. Reimbursements will be made within 14 days of the submission of approved receipts.
- Façade Grants will be available year-round and will be awarded monthly as funds are available
Upper Story Residential Program
This grant is designed to encourage upper story residentail rental units in our historic downtown. The grant shall be a reimbursement up to 20% or rehabilitation cost not to exceed $15,000 per residential rental unit. To apply complete application and submit the following items:
- A current list of owners/partners or officers/directors who have ownership in the property.
- Copy of property Deed
- Copy of Insurance Policy
- Third Party Estimates of work to be done from a qualified contractor.
- Proof of financial ability to complete 100% of Upper Story Residential project.
- Rehabilitation plans